We are pleased to announce that the JSPS Summer Program formerly known as “EAPSI” program by NSF is now open for applications for the first time in seven years.
The JSPS Summer Program provides opportunities for pre- and post-doctoral researchers from the US, Canada and Europe to receive an online orientation and Japanese lessons, and to pursue research under the guidance of host researchers at Japanese universities and research institutes over a period of two months during the summer.
We would also like to invite you to an online info-session about this program.
Please refer the details of this program as follows:
Applicants must meet all the criteria below.
1) Be U.S. citizens or permanent residents;
2) Be enrolled in a university graduate program or hold a doctorate degree which must have been received on or after 2 April 2017 (not required to hold a full-time position);
3) Be enrolled at an institution located in the United States;
4) Have received in advance acceptance from their host researchers; and
5) Aspire to become a researcher in future
*Those who have previously been awarded a fellowship under a JSPS Fellowship Programs are not eligible.
- MAINTENANCE ALLOWANCE (¥534,000)
- AIRFARE (AIR TICKET)
- OVERSEAS TRAVEL INSURANCE
- RESEARCH SUPPORT ALLOWANCE (Option)
Required documents for the application
Please download and carefully read the following documents before starting your application.
Forms to be submitted:
Please submit the following application package to the following e-mail address:
1) Application form for JSPS Summer Program FY2024 <Please download here>
2) Letter of Recommendation to JSPS Washington Office
* Please submit a one-page letter-size paper in any format.
3) Acceptance Letter from Host institution
* This should be an official letter with letterhead
When you submit the application package, please choose your field from the list below and write it in the email.
2. Biological/Medical Sciences
3. Humanities/Social Sciences
Thursday, January 4th, 2024
* Please note that, almost all Japanese organizations have long vacations through December 28 to January 3rd, so please contact the host researchers in Japan as soon as possible.
The number of Fellowships Awarded in the US
Monday, June 17th: Arrival in Japan
– Orientation at SOKENDAI
– Research experience at host institutions
– Homestay program
Monday, August 26th: Research report presentation in Tokyo
Tuesday, August 27th: Departure from Japan
Online Info-Session for this program
Tuesday, October 17th at:
If you are interested in more details of this program, please join the info-session.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.